Monday, 17 March 2014

2D Shapes Game

Do you remember playing with magnetic or wooden shapes when you were little?

I had a set of wooden shapes in different sizes and colours which could be used to make all sorts of pictures and patterns.

This is my DIY version, which I made for my class recently as we've been learning about shapes.








I started with seven or eight sheets of colourful paper and being very lazy, I cut the shapes out mainly freehand and holding the whole bundle together at the same time!  

The only shape I didn't cut freehand was the circle as I find I can never get a perfect circle, they just get smaller and smaller as I keep cutting, trying to make them perfect.



This pack of paper was from Lidl for £2.  What a bargain!

After cutting the shapes I laminated them.  I have a little laminator at home for doing school bit and pieces (supermarkets sell them for around £10).




Then I made up some ideas cards by creating pictures with the shapes and taking photographs of them.









When the children at school make their own pictures and designs, I'll take photographs of them too and increase the box of ideas cards.


















Shapes are great for all sorts of learning including....

Colour and shape recognition

Sorting for size, colour, shape


Making patterns
Making repeating patterns

Creating pictures and art


You can also discuss properties of shapes such as whether they have curved or straight lines, number of sides, corners etc...

Here are some of the other picture card ideas I made.

Repeating patterns
Create pictures



Create art!

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome, I'm glad you find them useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pinear toca! algunos modelos eran totalmente desconocidos para mi
    Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  4. great Idea I love it thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, it seems to be a popular post!

      Delete
  5. Hi Is there a possibility you send me the files of the stumps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Is there a possibility you send me the files of the stumps?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I cut all the shapes freehand so there are no files sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. super idée, je ne sais jamais quoi faire avec les blocs logiques merci pour ces pistes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    what a great idea!
    I would love to have the pictures you made!!
    Is there any possibility to get them?
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Unfortunately not as I didn't save them, I just made the patterns/pictures and took photos and then printed them.
      Could you maybe screen shot from here?

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete